The Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. (LFA) makes these message boards available for public use to all individuals who agree to and abide by the terms and conditions described below and by the general standards of showing courtesy and civility toward others. We expect that people using these message boards will treat others with kindness, dignity and respect.
To post messages to these message boards, you must register as a member. This registration is free of charge. By registering, you agree to abide by the Terms of Membership.
1) Be respectful of others. These are public message boards and all are welcome to participate. Do not dismiss the concerns or opinions expressed by others. If you disagree with an opinion or post, offer a counter point, but don't degrade people or insult them for offering their opinion. Act like intelligent adults.
2) Observe the general rules of 'Netiquette.' Treat others with kindness and respect; don't be rude or pushy. If you would not feel comfortable saying it to someone in person directly, perhaps you should not post it on a message board. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Don't be hurtful to others. Your sarcasm, pun or teasing might be very painful to someone who is struggling physically and emotionally and is searching for help. Stay positive and supportive. That's what these message boards are all about.
3) Ignore those who are not able or unwilling to follow these rules of common decency. Best to stay focused on the topic and discussion and ignore inflammatory posters.
4) Stay on topic. Be respectful of the discussion topic and contribute to the subject being discussed. Don't be rude and hijack a discussion thread.
5) Be patient and helpful. Remember, not everyone has the same level of experience and understanding in lupus. When people pose a question, provide an answer, share your knowledge and experience in a positive and supportive way.
6) Do not post any material, or links to any material, that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.
7) Do not post any copyrighted material without permission of the copyright holder. Under the Fair Use Clause, you may quote short excerpts of copyrighted materials as part of your post, but you must credit the original author. Advertisements, promotional materials, junk mail, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate. The selling or promotion of products or services by a third party vendor is prohibited and frankly rude. This is not Amazon.com.
8) Avoid posting pictures, videos, animation, etc. that is not relevant to the discussion. More and more people access these message boards through their mobile device and images and animation can slow load times and eat up bandwidth unnecessarily. Be considerate of others who read these posts.
9) Finally, if you find an offensive or inappropriate post, let us know. Send a link to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will take a look at it as soon as we can and take appropriate action. Don't respond with negativity. Stay positive and supportive.
Thank you for your consideration and support.